Tuesday 8 January 2013

Back into the routine and 2013 target set

The New year has passed and the routine is slowly coming back.

On my birthday I got a surprise text from Rob seeing if I wanted to go for a run. He did put 1 stipulation on it thou, and that was that he only did 5k. I agreed but I was going to carry on past 5k and if Rob stuck with me then ok and if he was struggling he was going to drop out. It was the first run for Rob in about a month and with Christmas timber to burn off he was determined to get back into the routine. We ran at a steady but slowish pace and Rob managed to stick it out till 5.5km. I carried on and did 1 more lap to make the total distance 8km, I could have done more but as it was my birthday I thought I should go home and spend it with the family.





Then on Sunday I felt like another run and on the off chance I texted Luke to see if he wanted to come along. To my surprise he did and actually sounded upbeat about it too. He asked for my help with something first but it was a nice warm up before the run. Luke was a bit more out of the routine compared with Rob, he goes to the gym a lot but doesn't do any running. So we set off at a good pace but after 1km Luke was already struggling, his ankle was sore and he has a bad back which became more inflamed and painful the further he went. So by the end of lap 1 and before he was in to much pain Luke dropped out after 2.7km and I kept going with a determination to do 4 laps. Which I did with no problems at all, I was slightly tired and my pace had tailed off a bit but for 11km it was, dare I say it, 'easy'.






In these runs I had sorted it with both Rob and Luke to do a practise run of the 10k route of the Fun Run I'm organising. In about 10 days time were gonna run it properly like we would on the day of the fun run. It will give us a chance to look at how things will run and if we need to make any alterations and how many signs and marshals we will need.

I have also created a Facebook event for the run to invite people who might not get a flyer or I won't see for a while. I left the event open so other people can invite people too. This lead to the 40 people I invited growing to just over 100, which is brilliant. I had interest from about 20 people in just over a couple of days. The rest of the flyers go out at school this week so I hope to get a bit more interest from that too. The closer it gets the more nervous I'm getting I just hope it goes well and no one gets hurt in training or on the Run.

One of my birthday presents was some money from my step mother and only to be used on some new running shoes. So I've been browsing the web and shops looking at what to get, but can't make my mind up.

What do you think I should get? I mainly run on roads and do an average of 20-25km a week. What type of running shoe should I get? What colour etc? These are the questions I keep circling I just don't know what I want yet.

I also had other questions in my head this week and the most important 1 was, what target should I set myself for 2013. After reading a few other blog and tweeting a few people to see what they had set themselves I arrived at a 1000km target. Last year I managed 358km from July to year end so a whole years running and longer distances I should be able to reach it. I will review it in June to see if I need to increase it or not.

Keep running everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment