Wednesday 22 August 2012

Home sweet home?

Yesterday was our last day in France and my last chance for a run, unfortunately I ran out of time, pun intended. With all the packing and breakfast and the rising temperatures, I never found time. But I did manage to get a photo of the downed bridge that I had crossed in my last 2 runs, which I will add to this at the end.

Our journey home wasn't too interesting Clark squirmed a lot on the plane, because he fell asleep on the way to the airport. I took a wrong turn on the way out of Liverpool and headed into Wales, before giving up and turning round. Traffic on the motorways bad drivers the usual, but we soon hit Huddersfield and then it hit me that we'd been away for a week. It was weird as I drove through huddersfield it felt like it was just another day.

We stopped off at McDonald's drive thru on the way home with 2 sleepy boys in the back. So when we got home and the boys woke up we had tea. Before I knew it, it was 7.45 and I still wanted to go for a run, so I quickly got ready and stretched and set off.

I had decided that I was only going to do 5km just to compare with my 2 runs in France. I set off with my NEW SHOES on again and i must have been excited cos I set off at pace and did my first km in 4.53. It soon hit home as I started hitting the ups and downs of the home circuit. The next 4km got slower and slower until I finished my 5km in 28.27, with my last km time being 6.27.

I was trying to put my finger on what was so tiring about this run, was the McDonald's for tea? Was it the long day of travelling? Or was it just the ups and downs of the home circuit. I know 1 thing for sure I missed the circuit I did at Caunes-Minervois. I missed the steady flat of the of the first half and the steady climb of the second half. The scenery isn't as good here, and there isn't any interesting downed bridges, and I even miss the heat.

It isn't until you do your normal run that you remember why your doing the running in the first place. It isn't because you want to do runs in interesting place with lovely sights, although it would be nice. No I'm running to get fit and maybe lose a bit of weight in the process. The 5km charity race I'm going to do in 4 weeks should perk me up a bit until I settle back down into a routine and enjoy the runs at home again....

3 comments:

  1. Glad you made it home ok. It was great having you with us for the week. I was really impressed with your running in this heat. All our love to those gorgeous boys and to Sarah. You are doing a great job as parents. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no doubt that getting fit and having so much more energy are the real benefits of running.... we're really proud of you...brilliant stuff. J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed you decided to do a run after a day of travelling! And it's hilarious you ended up driving into Wales! Hahah! Next time don't have McDonald's though :)
    Had a great week with you guys!
    Love you loads

    ReplyDelete