Saturday, 1 February 2014

Temple Newsam's 1st Birthday and Team Pattison tourism

This past parkrunday Team Pattison packed up early and headed off to Temple Newsam parkrun to join in the celebrations for their 1st birthday. This was also Team Pattisons first team tourism, I had done a couple on my own before but this was the first one that we all were taking part in.

We arrived and met up with my friend Steve and made our way round to join the ever growing crowd at the start. There was a large following from the Huddersfield running bunnies that had made the trip up the M1 too, which added to the already great atmosphere. Whilst we all arrived Leigh Harvey was going round handing out party hats for everyone to wear, we even put one on Flynn. 

As this was our first time at Temple Newsam parkrun we didn't know the course or where the start was but I did know courtesy of social media that they had changed the course a bit. I had no idea what from or to so it was useless information to us but for those who were more regular I'm sure it was helpful. So after a bit of standing around looking a little lost and scared we got the call to go to the start, from Ronnie the "ppoty" (parkrun personality of the year 2013) and event director. It seemed no one knew where the start was so Ronnie led the way and soon had us all lined up ready for the start and the run brief. Then after a couple of introductions and a couple of photos, we were off and across the grass/muddy path we went. 

When we reached the start of the downhill it seemed everyone had under-estimated the warning we got at the run brief about the icy bits and taking them steady. There was quite a lot of accidental Temple T's, regulars of Temple Newsam parkrun will know what I mean. For those of you that don't here is a photo to explain.

At the bottom of the hill we could trust our footing again and pick up the pace, and not long after dodging all the puddles we were already for the uphill back to the start. There was kilometer markers placed around the course which was nice but it made me think if there were any at other parkruns I had been to, and there wasn't any. It's only a small thing but it was nice to see, I can see how it could get confusing at 3 lap courses and part lap courses but on a 2 lapper it's great.

After climbing the hill up to the house I started lap 2 and was already being too slow for my friend Steve who had stayed with me for a bit but was stronger on the climb so decided to keep going rather than wait for me, which I totally understand and wondered why he hadn't do it already. 

The second lap was a bit quicker to start with as I knew where I was going this time but when it came to climb the last hill again my legs felt really heavy. I still managed to make it up in a pleasing time but the finish was now right at the top of the hill right in front of the house so the extra 50m climb up to the finish really hurt mentally but the friendly reception I got from the volunteers was great. About halfway up the hill I had noticed that S-J, Dexter and Flynn were struggling and were last. Mainly as the buggy we use doesn't have the most suitable front wheels for the muddy patches and the bumpiness of the footpaths. So after a quick chat with Steve and  a catch of my breath I ran on to catch them up and help. When I caught up with them Dexter was helping the tail runner Nikki Coop collect the markers and cones etc as they went by. Nikki Coop was brilliant with Dexter and taught him the correct way to do the Temple T.

I took Flynn and the buggy off S-J for the final hill climb so she could cross the line with Dexter and they got a amazing cheer as they crossed the line thanks to all the people who stayed back after they had finished themselves.

At the finish I managed to get a quick word with Nicola Forwood and meet Poppy for the first time, and  Nicola got met Flynn again 4 months after the last time at Huddersfield parkrun. it's safe to say he was a lot bigger now than when she met him at only 3 weeks old. Unfortunately it was only a brief meeting as we had a very excited 5 year old who wanted to play in the playground by the car park before we had to go and pick up Clark. So even with the ice and mud I had a fantastic time, S-J not so much but we will definitely be back again maybe in the Spring or summer. 

Thank you to everyone at Temple Newsam parkrun and a special thanks to Nikki Coop who kept S-J and Dexters spirits going through until the finish.

Keep running everyone

*****S-J edit*****

I had a lovely time! I genuinely thought I might die going over the wet muddy grass track, as the buggy seemed to think it should be a bloody plough!  The first lap was honestly horrific in my defense I did get so cold at the start I couldn't feel my toes and it was an uphill start and I couldn't run down the hills due to ice!  Also one of the little known joys of pushing a buggy in the ice is you have to hold it back down hill so it was like resistance training! Nikki Coop was ace and we didn't even finish last (just v nearly last) I will do it again in the sunshine!!! 

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear about your exploits from the other side of the world. Not found any park runs in Oz yet. Playing hold in a park tomorrow though, does that count? Lots of love to everyone and well done. xxxx TTTT